Driver killed in Rocky Mount truck crash
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WTVD) -- The tractor trailer driver killed in an accident near Stoney Creek Monday afternoon has been identified.
The accident happened around 1:40 p.m. along the northbound lane of U.S. 301 Highway Bypass at Western Boulevard.
Authorities said 71-year-old David Warren Stone of Rocky Mount was originally reported missing after his tractor trailer overturned, and the truck's cab fell into the rain-swollen Stoney Creek.
Witnesses said a scooter or car may have cut off the 18-wheeler, causing the truck to run off the road.
Crews were finally able to pull the truck out of the creek around 10:30 p.m.
The cause of accident is still under investigation.
Meanwhile, one lane of northbound Wesleyan Boulevard over the Stoney Creek bridge remains closed until repairs can be completed.
nash county, edgecombe county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help