Driver killed in Rocky Mount truck crash
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (WTVD) -- The tractor trailer driver killed in an accident near Stoney Creek Monday afternoon has been identified.
The accident happened around 1:40 p.m. along the northbound lane of U.S. 301 Highway Bypass at Western Boulevard.
Authorities said 71-year-old David Warren Stone of Rocky Mount was originally reported missing after his tractor trailer overturned, and the truck's cab fell into the rain-swollen Stoney Creek.
Witnesses said a scooter or car may have cut off the 18-wheeler, causing the truck to run off the road.
Crews were finally able to pull the truck out of the creek around 10:30 p.m.
The cause of accident is still under investigation.
Meanwhile, one lane of northbound Wesleyan Boulevard over the Stoney Creek bridge remains closed until repairs can be completed.
nash county, edgecombe county, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- New bill aims to curb overzealous photoshopping
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter