Durham couple uses baseball bat to fight off burglar
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Durham neighborhood is on alert after a series of recent break-ins in the area.
The most recent crime happened Monday night at the gated Pinnacle Ridge Apartments on University Drive.
Resident Allison Bashor said an intruder broke into her apartment and gave her and her husband a frightening awakening.
"We were sleeping and I heard my husband yell, and he woke up and chased the burglar out of our patio door," Bashor said.
Armed with a bat, he chased the burglar out the same way he came in, but not before he made off with thousands of dollars of electronic devices.
"He actually took a couple of things but we were able to retrieve them," Bashor said.
A locator app on the couple's iPhone helped police track the suspect's location and recover their items.
The suspect was nowhere to be found, but the person dumped a bag with some of the stolen goods.
The couple said they were surprised that this kind of crime happened in their gated community.
"We're very happy with the neighborhood. He probably walked around the gate, but that could happen anywhere," Bashor said.
Durham police have investigated more than two dozen home break-ins in recent months within a half mile of the Bashor's apartment complex.
So far, no arrests have been made.
durham county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- North Carolina ties to Craigslist murder
- Heart of Carolina Food Drive wrapping up soon
- South African police prepare for Mandela ceremony
- Man must pay $50K after breaking up with fiancee
- Audit shows problems with NC Tracks
- Car drives off bridge, into Harnett County creek
- Bicyclist charged with DWI
- Online promotion idea turns sour for cupcake shop owner
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Gas leak prompts evacuations, closes highway
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- Cumberland County deputy involved in crash
- Jury selection begins in newlywed killing case
- Newtown asks for privacy, kindness on 1-year mark
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help