Lights coming back on in Triangle
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The cleanup after Thursday's powerful storms continued into Saturday as crews worked to remove downed trees and restore electricity to the thousands left in the dark.
Saturday, Duke Energy Progress reported power had been restored for most of the customers in the ABC11 viewing area.
Click here for the latest power outage information from Duke Energy Progress.The company says it hopes to have power restored to everyone by 11 p.m. Saturday.
The continued electricity outages meant several year-round schools in Wake County could not open for classes and even the DMV License office on Avent Ferry Road in Raleigh was closed.
Power officials said they were working as fast as possible to restore electricity to affected areas.
In Raleigh, city crews were working to collect fallen trees and limbs. City officials said the City of Raleigh Solid Waste Services Department will expand its normal curbside collection of yard waste next week to include larger amounts of storm debris, at no additional charge.
Residents should prepare the storm debris for collection by cutting it to a size that collection trucks can accept. Storm debris must be no larger than five feet in length or 18 inches in diameter per limb.
Raleigh residents may place fallen trees or tree limbs from Thursday's storm at the curb on their regular day of collection next week, but they must call the Solid Waste Services Department at (919) 996-6890 to schedule this special collection service.
In Cary, the Town is expanding its yard waste collection program for a limited time. All Cary citizens with downed trees in their yards may call (919) 469-4090 by 5 p.m. on Friday, June 21 to request a special pick-up.
- Winter storm warning for ice in northern areas 8 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help