Canes step in to keep Fayetteville ice rink open
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- An ice rink popular with thousands of families in Fayetteville is staying open thanks to the Carolina Hurricanes.
At one point Fort Bragg had planned to temporarily close the Cleland Ice Rink due to cuts.
The Hurricanes said they were contacted by the group "Defending The Blue Line," which helps with hockey costs for military families.
The team stepped in and made a $10,000 donation to the Cape Fear Youth Hockey Association when it found out the rink was slated to shutdown. The donation is helping the children on Fort Bragg have everything they need for the upcoming hockey season.
Now, thanks to the Canes and two nonprofits the kids at Fort Bragg will be able to keep playing this hockey season.
As an added bonus, Hurricanes captain Eric Staal made an appearance at the rink Friday to sign autographs and watch the kids skate.
"You never want to see a hockey rink shut down, no matter where it is -- especially on a day like today when you see how many kids are out there and loving every minute of it," Staal said. "You want to make sure that those opportunities are still there for kids and I'm glad it's going to continue on."
cumberland county, fort bragg, carolina hurricanes, local/state, nicole carr
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry 1 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation 19 min ago
- American University campus lockdown lifted 11 min ago
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 31 min ago
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman 30 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help