Local soldiers return from Afghanistan
June 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- One hundred thirty Illinois National Guard soldiers are home from Afghanistan Saturday night. Ten of them became fathers during their deployment.
Members of the 933rd Military Police Company based at Fort Sheridan arrived at O'Hare Airport this morning. They were mobilized last August.
After their plane landed they had to take care of some formalities before running to greet their families. On this Father's Day weekend, ten men held their sons and daughters for the first time.
"It's a crazy feeling," said Spc. Harley Wessner. "I was more nervous to get off the plane than I was to go to Afghanistan."
"I teared up a little bit, a little tiny bit," said Spc. Whilliam Shaw. "Nah I cried. It was ridiculous. I was crying before we even got all the way over here. She was a week old when I left. So I'm just glad to be home. Start the next chapter in our lives and hers."
It seems all of the soldiers are planning barbecues and family time this weekend.
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 32 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project 27 min ago
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots 53 min ago
- Raleigh shooting under investigation 18 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
32 min ago
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
30 min ago
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham...
27 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help