Southern Pines police officer killed in line of duty
SOUTHERN PINES, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Southern Pines police officer was killed in the line of duty Saturday, according to police.
Officer Stanley L. Klingenschmidt, a 27 year veteran of the Southern Pines Police Department, was participating in a benefit motorcycle ride to raise money for Special Olympics-North Carolina.
The event was sponsored by the Pinehurst Police Department which left from Pinehurst at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
Around 11 a.m. Klingenschmidt was involved in a single vehicle accident while leading a group of motorcycle riders through Montgomery County.
A wake for Klingenschmidt will be held Tuesday from 5 to 8 p.m. at Boles Funeral Home in Southern Pines.
His funeral will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Owens Auditorium on the campus of Sandhills Community College, in Pinehurst.
moore county, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help