Funeral held for fallen Southern Pines officer
PINEHURST, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hundreds of people turned out Wednesday to say goodbye to a fallen Southern Pines police officer.
Stanley L. Klingenschmidt, a 27-year veteran of the department, died Saturday in a single vehicle crash while escorting a group of other law enforcement and civilian motorcycle riders through Moore and Montgomery Counties during a Special Olympics benefit.
Klingenschmidt's funeral was held Wednesday afternoon in Pinehurst.
Loved ones, law enforcement and the community gathered to celebrate Klingenschmidt's life.
During the service, a video presentation highlighting Klingenschmidt's life was played. It was fittingly called "The Last Ride."
Officers from across the region showed up to show their support for a fellow brother.
"It's certainly what we needed. It's been a part of our healing process. It's been an extremely difficult time for us since Saturday," said Southern Pines Police Chief Robert Temme. "So the amount of support we're getting from the entire law enforcement community and the entire community is outstanding."
Klingenschmidt's name will be added to a monument to fallen officers at police headquarters. He is the first officer killed on the job since 1991.
moore county, local/state
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help