Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A driver is facing charges after an accident in downtown Raleigh overnight that injured a man.
It happened around 12:15 a.m. Wednesday on Peace Street at Glenwood Avenue.
Authorities said 35-year-old Shawntel Lee Pichardo ran off the road and hit a power pole, knocking down an electric line.
According to an accident report, Pichardo said she was struck by another vehicle and swerved off the roadway. However, authorities said she could not explain where the other vehicle came from or what direction it was traveling.
Witnesses told police that they saw Pichardo's car turn right onto Peace Street off Glenwood Avenue and overcorrect to avoid hitting a building. The witness stated Pichardo then overcorrected again and crashed into the utility pole.
The report also revealed that the witness heard Pichardo say she was drunk when she got out of her vehicle after the accident.
Authorities said there was no physical evidence of her car colliding with another vehicle.
A passenger inside the car, 32-year-old Alexander Benjamin Vega Eason, was reportedly injured, but declined to have EMS take him to the hospital.
Pichardo was charged with DWI, driving while license revoked, having an open container of alcohol, and reckless driving.
Eason was also charged with a seat belt violation.
wake county, accident, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help