Former teacher pleads guilty to sex charges
CLAYTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A former Archer Lodge Middle School teacher pleaded guilty to multiple counts of sexual exploitation of minors, statutory rape, and solicitation over internet - amongst other charges - in a plea agreement Monday.
Paul Clifton Canally, 31, had faced more than 150 years in prison plus eight additional life sentences. In the plea deal, a judge sentenced him to a minimum of 50 years and a maximum of 60, while telling him he violated the trust of parents and students.
Prosecutors said he abused seven boys in all. The parents of all seven were in court Monday and some spoke during the hearing.
Canally also spoke, telling his victims he is sorry.
"I wish I could take everything back but I can't and I wish I could say or do more but I don't think there's anything more that can be done. All I can do is apologize," he said. "I am so sorry. You trusted me and I betrayed that trust. If I could take it back I would , I wish I could do so much more but I can't."
Canally could get more jail time for a pending charge in Pennsylvania if he's convicted there.
Canally worked as a teacher at Archer Lodge from August 2007 to July 27, 2009. All but one of his alleged victims were students at the school.
Detectives first arrested the former science teacher in February 2012.
Canally resigned his teaching position in the summer of 2009 after the Johnston County School district began investigating a complaint against him. A district spokesperson told ABC11 last year that the complaint was not of a sexual nature, but did not elaborate.
johnston county, sex offense, local/state
- Barber, others found guilty in Moral Monday protests 10 min ago
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- Authorities searching for bank robbery suspect 32 min ago
- Family of 7 displaced in Carrboro fire 16 min ago
- Fire damages Fayetteville apartment building
- Bank robbed in Durham 39 min ago
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride 52 min ago
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover 53 min ago
- Group tasked with keeping kids safe at school
- Truck dumps concrete load onto roadway
- Raleigh mayor to announce major concert
- State prison guard attacked by inmate
- Family of 7 displaced in Carrboro fire
17 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help