Murder investigation turns into shootout in Fayetteville
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Police say there was an officer-involved shooting during a death investigation in the 4500 block of Ruby Road Wednesday morning.
Officers were called to the home just after 8 a.m. after family members went to the house to check on a man and found his home in disarray and a body.
As authorities with the Fayetteville Police Department were investigating the scene, they said a man walking near the area pulled out a weapon and began shooting at police.
Officer William Clements III was able to shoot the armed suspect, later identified as 24-year-old Solomon Butler who reportedly lived at the home under investigation, before anyone was injured.
"I just assumed this fella was coming up to find out what was going on and walk back down to his house," Fayetteville Police Chief Harold Medlock said. "That's how relaxed he was when he came up the street. That's why I turned my back to this individual and it makes me angry, but again, great police work by a cop that was on top of things and kept us alive."
Butler was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center and is currently listed in critical condition.
The State Bureau of Investigation is currently investigating the officer-involved shooting, while the Fayetteville Police Department investigates the homicide.
Police said they believe Butler was involved in some way with the death at the home, but he has not been named as a suspect or charged.
So far, police have not identified the deceased person.
cumberland county, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help