Durham jewelry store robbery suspects charged in Cary
CARY, N.C. (WTVD) -- What started as a kidnapping and robbery at a Durham jewelry store has led police to charge three Wake County men in three recent robberies in Cary.
Police say three men robbed Jared The Galleria of Jewelry in the Renaissance Center on Fayetteville Road near The Streets at Southpoint Monday night.
Investigators determined the men followed the store's manager home, kidnapped her, and took her back to the store while they robbed the vault of high-priced jewels.
When officers arrived, two vehicles fled the scene. One vehicle crashed with 19-year-old Denzel Timothy Rasheem Shivers, of Fuquay-Varina inside. The other vehicle led officers on a high speed chase and the two men inside escaped on foot.
Later Tuesday afternoon, 22-year-old Vendai Larpist Irick, of Fuquay-Varina and 20-year-old Rodney Jerrold Devin Byrd, of Cary turned themselves in.
Now Cary police have connected the three men to three robberies in Cary, dating back to March.
Police charged all three men in connection with the June 2 armed robbery of the McDonald's at 869 SE Maynard Rd. They are also charged in the June 17 robbery of a store manager at Wells Fargo Bank at 1201 Walnut St.
Additionally, Shivers will be charged with the March 2 armed robbery of a Bojangle's Restaurant employee.
For all of these charges, Shivers could face up to 50 years in jail, while Irick could face up to 37 years, and Byrd could spend 23 years behind bars. Police said additional charges are pending.
While arrests have been made, the investigations are still on-going and anyone with additional information is encourage to contact the Town of Cary Police Department at (919) 469-4012 or Cary Crime Stoppers at (919) 226-CRIM(E).
wake county, robbery, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide