Civil War cannonball found in Durham
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Durham County Sheriff's Office says a live Civil War cannonball was found in the 2700 block of W. Main Street.
A homeowner found the cannonball buried in his yard, and took it to an antiques dealer.
The dealer was concerned that it might be dangerous and asked the man to leave. He called police who turned it over to the Durham Sheriff's Office Hazardous Devices Unit Monday afternoon.
The cannonball was taken to the county firing range and destroyed. Officials said it contained black powder explosives and was fitted with a fuse.
durham county, local/state
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help