Wake deputies involved in shooting
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- Wake County authorities say a routine traffic stop turned into an officer-involved shooting Friday night.
Officials said Deputy Ricky Spivey attempted to perform the stop on Wimberly Road in Apex around 7:30 p.m.
While stopped, the driver, Michael Joseph Morgan, of Apex drove off in his vehicle dragging Spivey.
Deputy Casey Miller had arrived at the scene and shot at Morgan's vehicle, hitting him twice.
Morgan was taken to Duke Hospital in Durham with non-life threatening injuries. Spivey suffered minor injuries.
Officials said charges are pending against Morgan and that he will face felony assault with a deadly weapon on a government official.
Spivey has been with the Wake County Sheriff's Office for almost nine years, while Miller has served nearly six years.
The incident is under investigation by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation.
accident, wake county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation 39 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 27 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer 7 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help