Memorial ride held for fallen cyclist
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A sea of cyclists took over downtown Durham Sunday morning to remember one of their own.
Seth Vidal was a Red Hat executive and avid cyclist. He was struck from behind and killed while riding along Hillendale Drive and I-85 Monday night.
The driver involved in that accident is now facing charges, including felony hit and run.
Fellow cyclists gathered for their monthly ride Sunday morning in memory of Vidal.
“It’s also very inspiring to see people out here who want to change the situation.. the cycling community wanting people to realize Vidal’s passion and belief in sustainability,” ride organizer Adrian Fletcher said.
Vidal’s death is not just a wakeup call for cyclists. It’s also a reminder for everyone on the road to be concerned with safety.
“We are human beings and slow down. Get off your phone and pay attention to people on the street,” cyclist Costa Harlan said.
The six mile bicycle ride was about Vidal's legacy as well as a community lesson.
durham county, local/state, nicole carr
- NC-147 closed due to downed power lines 3 min ago
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Salvation Army coming up short this year
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Bank robbery suspect sought in Fayetteville
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the dickens'
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help