Local bus passengers stranded on trip to NYC
NEW YORK (WTVD) -- Some bus riders from the Triangle were stranded in Virginia for eight hours with no food, or air conditioning.
The nightmare happened to dozens of passengers trying to get to New York City. They boarded the bus Monday night in Durham and arrived in New York early Wednesday.
The bus broke down twice on the trip and passengers were stranded for hours when a wire in the bus apparently started to burn, and smoke soon started filling the passenger area.
The bus broke down in near Fredericksburg, Va.
A mechanic came to fix it not once, but twice. Eventually a Greyhound bus rescued the tired and drained riders.
"It was hot air and the smoke," said passenger Minnie Taylor. "As soon as we saw the smoke, we just had to get off the bus. That was the main thing."
"I couldn't breathe because I have asthma," said passenger Carlos Gonzalez.
While the riders were stranded, the American Red Cross did step in and provide some shelter. A local restaurant also donated food.
durham county, local/state, elaina athans
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche 5 min ago
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week 15 min ago
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter 44 min ago
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested 59 min ago
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- Family of Danielle Locklear opens up
- Suspect in Durham carjacking, crash sought
- GOP: Teacher crisis started before McCrory