Sheriff: Man tried to buy child for sex
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said Friday it has arrested a local businessman and charged him with attempting to arrange a meeting, for the purpose of having sex with an autistic child.
Forty-seven-year-old William Jerry Faulkner, Jr. of Red Oak Drive, Hope Mills is the manager of Taylor's Linden Mini-Storage in the town of Linden and is a retired military intelligence soldier.
Detectives said they found an illegal posting on Craigslist.com advertising for a single mother, who had a special needs child that he could have in exchange for compensation. Deputies said Faulkner intended to use the child for inappropriate sexual behavior.
Deputies said Faulkner is the first in North Carolina to be charged under the new "Shaniya's Law," the unlawful sale, surrender, or purchase of a minor. He is also faces charges of indecent liberties with a child.
He is being held in the Cumberland County Detention Centerl under $75,000 bond.
cumberland county, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co. 11 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Confused, chaotic scene described on sinking ferry 56 min ago
- Persons of interest identified in Fayetteville shooting 49 min ago
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine
- DOT worker charged in officer's death
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police canvass area for information about rape suspect 3 min ago
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth
- Hatchell: Star freshman DeShields leaving UNC 56 min ago
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Teacher resignations up significantly in...
25 min ago