Mother of slain teen speaks out about son's death
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- A Fayetteville mother is trying to understand why her son was killed.
Police say 16-year-old Ashton Foxx was gunned down at a pool party early Thursday morning.
"Ain't nothing in the streets for you after 12 o'clock but trouble," said Foxx's mother, Keisha Lovett.
That's what Lovett often told her son, who was affectionately called "Moose" by loved ones. Foxx was a standout Westover High School basketball player. He last saw his mom around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
"I asked him I said 'Ya'll finished playing yet?" He said, 'Yes ma'am. We're finished playing,' but I never knew that he had asked her to take him to that party and she told him no," said Lovett.
That party at an apartment complex off Reilly Road is where the fight broke out at the pool.
Police say 23-year-old Tabari Hashim pulled the trigger four hours after Lovett had last seen Foxx in the yard.
"I didn't even know he'd left back out the house," she said.
Foxx's mom got the phone call that her son had been shot in the head.
"They said they were out there busting beer bottles and stuff against each other's heads," said Lovett. "I just said to myself why ya'll couldn't just hit him upside the head with a beer bottle. Why he had to be hit upside the head with a bullet."
Lovett says her son remained on life support until around 10 p.m. Thursday.
By Friday afternoon, she and Foxx's father were facing Hashim in a jailhouse courtroom.
"He just let the devil use him," said Lovett about Hashim.
Lovett says it was a cell phone picture from a young lady at the pool party that led police to Hashim.
cumberland county, shooting, local/state
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands 15 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban 52 min ago
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help