Couple charged with child abuse refutes charges
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Raleigh couple charged with locking their son in their basement without food are speaking out. The two say it's all the result of a lie their son told because he was mad at them.
Serge and Cassandra Germain are adamant that they have done nothing wrong. They are now back in their north Raleigh home Monday after posting bond.
On Friday, police came to their home, arrested and charged the couple with misdemeanor child abuse.
They called the charges a nightmare and say it only got worse just after midnight Saturday when child protective services workers and sheriff's deputies came to haul their three children away.
They say the boys were screaming and crying.
This all started, according to the Germains, when they went to social services earlier this year for disciplinary help with their six year old.
One day recently they punished the boy because he didn't want to go to school.
They say the boy was mad and told his social services mentor that, when he was three-years-old, his stepfather would lock in him in their basement without food.
"I can't hate Adoni for fibbing," said Serge, the child's stepfather. "He's still my son. I love him. I could be, I'm very upset with him right now for causing this but I still love him."
"I love him. He's my son," said Cassandra. "He's the light of my life but I'm very disappointed in the way he lied."
Meanwhile, investigators say the boy has confirmed his original story to them.
So, according to court paperwork, the Germain's are charged with child abuse that began in October 2010 and continued until they were charged on Friday.
wake county, local/state, ed crump
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75