Arrest made in Durham woman's death
DURHAM (WTVD) -- An arrest has been made in connection with the death of a 58-year-old woman who was found dead inside an apartment in southern Durham earlier this week.
Ella Davis was found stabbed to death inside her apartment at the Greens of Pine Glen on Greens Hollow Lane around 10 a.m. Tuesday after authorities were asked to check on her.
Durham investigators arrested 34-year-old John Franklin Alexander of Fayetteville Thursday morning after warrants were served on him in the Harnett County Jail.
ABC11 has learned Alexander was arrested on drug charges during after a single-car accident on US-401 in Harnett County just hours after Davis was found. Authorities said he was driving Davis' vehicle at the time of his arrest.
According to the Highway Patrol, he fled on foot and troopers had to taser him to get him under control.
Troopers notified Durham police when they found the car registration and personal items in the car.
Besides the murder, possession of a stolen vehicle and possession of stolen property charges Alexander faces in Durham, he also faces possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, felony carrying a concealed firearm, two counts of trafficking Schedule 1 controlled substances, two counts of resisting a public official, assault on a law enforcement officer, simple possession of Schedule 2 controlled substances, driving while impaired and possession of an open container of alcohol in a vehicle in Harnett County.
Investigators said Davis' death did not appear to be a random incident, however, it was unclear how Davis and Alexander knew one another.
Alexander previously served time for the 1998 stabbing death of a man in Fayetteville, according to court documents.
durham county, homicide, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help