Stabbing suspect killed in Durham officer-involved shooting
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Durham police are investigating a fatal officer-involved shooting that happened Saturday morning on Park Avenue.
Officers were dispatched to a stabbing call in the 700 block of Park Avenue at 8:41 a.m. When they arrived, they found a male who had been cut on the face and was bleeding heavily.
Officers saw a male with a knife in the 800 block of Park Avenue and approached him. Officers confronted the male, who refused to drop the knife, and the male was shot during the confrontation, according to a preliminary investigation. The male was pronounced dead at the scene.
The stabbing victim was taken to the hospital for treatment.
The shooting is being investigated by the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the Durham Police Department's Professional Standards Division and Criminal Investigations Division, which is standard procedure in any officer-involved shooting.
No further information is available at this time.
durham county, shooting, stabbing, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash 49 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 21 min ago
- Snow, ice, deep-freeze hit large swath of US
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- Billy Joel, 4 others receive Kennedy Center Honors
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help