Durham County manager to retire
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham County Manager Mike Ruffin will retire at the end of January after 14 years in the job.
Ruffin made the announcement at Monday's commissioners meeting.
In a letter to the board, Ruffin noted that his decision to retire is family-related. He and his wife plan to relocate to the Charlotte area to care for his in-laws.
Ruffin reflected on numerous successes during his tenure.
"I have a great staff, the best department head leadership that we have ever had in my 13 years, and a wonderful group of employees who really care about what they do," said Ruffin. "They have been my employee family and I have enjoyed being their 'manager'."
A blog reports internal county relationships might have spurred the moved, but others say it was truly on Ruffin's own terms to walk away.
Ruffin said he's proud of the community he's leaving and all that it has accomplished under his leadership.
"I'm not leaving over tension with my Board," said Ruffin. "They've been very good to me. They've been very gracious about this."
Ruffin held similar posts in the Atlanta, Charlotte, and the Raleigh-Durham metropolitan areas during a nearly 36-year span.
The Durham Board of Commissioners will begin a search process for a new county manager immediately.
durham county, local/state
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Billy Graham weaker since 95th birthday party
- Shooting reported in Raleigh
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Serial bank robber arrested in Durham
- Bubba the goat is no longer on the lam
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help