Police identify suspect in officer-involved fatal shooting
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police have now identified the stabbing suspect shot and killed by a Durham officer over the weekend.
Police shot 33-year-old Jose Adan Cruz Ocampo when officers were called to a stabbing in the 700 block of Park Avenue Saturday morning.
When they arrived, they found a man bleeding heavily after getting cut on the face.
Officers saw a man with a knife about a block away. Police say when Ocampo refused to drop the knife, Officer R.S. Mbuthia shot him.
Ocampo was pronounced dead on the scene.
Mbuthia remains on paid leave.
The shooting is being investigated by the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the Durham Police Department's Professional Standards Division and Criminal Investigations Division, which is standard procedure in any officer-involved shooting.
durham county, shooting, stabbing, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide