Police identify suspect in officer-involved fatal shooting
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police have now identified the stabbing suspect shot and killed by a Durham officer over the weekend.
Police shot 33-year-old Jose Adan Cruz Ocampo when officers were called to a stabbing in the 700 block of Park Avenue Saturday morning.
When they arrived, they found a man bleeding heavily after getting cut on the face.
Officers saw a man with a knife about a block away. Police say when Ocampo refused to drop the knife, Officer R.S. Mbuthia shot him.
Ocampo was pronounced dead on the scene.
Mbuthia remains on paid leave.
The shooting is being investigated by the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the Durham Police Department's Professional Standards Division and Criminal Investigations Division, which is standard procedure in any officer-involved shooting.
durham county, shooting, stabbing, local/state
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke 50 min ago
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- Part of US 64 added to Interstate Highway System
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school...
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help