Police: Durham shooting, chase unrelated
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police now say the people inside a vehicle involved in a chase Thursday do not appear to have been involved in an earlier shooting.
They say officers attempted to stop the vehicle because it matched the description of the suspect vehicle in the shooting on Geer Street.
The driver of the vehicle, 25-year-old Stephen Lamont Steele Jr., was wanted on numerous outstanding felony warrants included trafficking in cocaine, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of a stolen firearm, possession of heroin with the intent to manufacture, sell or deliver, possession of marijuana, maintaining a dwelling for the sale of controlled substances, possession of drug paraphernalia and two counts of misdemeanor child abuse.
Additional charges have now been filed against Steele in connection with the chase. Those charges include felony hit-and-run, felony fleeing to elude a government official and traffic violations.
At last report, Steele was in the Durham County Jail under a $207,000 bond.
The shooting apparently occurred on Geer Street near Avondale Drive and the victim drove to the 1200 block of Spruce Street to get help.
Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call (919) 560-4281, ext. 29122 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.
durham county, shooting, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide