Arrest made in Raleigh break-in
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Raleigh crime spree may have been solved thanks to a N.C. State student.
Police arrested a man they believe might be responsible for numerous break-ins at the homes of students and others in Raleigh.
Marcos Iglesias told ABC11 woke up to find his laptop and phone weren't next to his bed where he left them when he went to sleep last Monday. He soon realized someone had come in during the night and taken the items just inches from where he was asleep.
Thanks to GPS tracking in Iglesias' phone, police say they found both the computer and phone in Dunn inside a car with 46-year-old Kelvin Bethea. They say he not only had property stolen from Iglesias but others in Raleigh as well.
Police say Bethea fits the description of a suspect in "numerous" break-ins near and on the N.C. State campus. In some of those cases the victims awoke to see a man in their bedroom.
Iglesias is glad he didn't wake up.
"He must have been prepared for me to wake up. I mean, he's making noise not two feet away from my face," said Iglesias. "So, I don't know what he would have done but I figured at best I would have, I don't know, gotten hit in the face and maybe knocked out or, at worst, who knows?"
So far, police have not charged Bethea with any other crimes that have happened in recent months. However, they are still investigating.
wake county, local/state, ed crump
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence 34 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van 56 min ago
- Durham house damaged by fire 46 min ago
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2Hurricanes surge...
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil...
18 min ago
- Helping Hands Mission needs donations
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help