Raleigh school closes its doors
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A school in Raleigh is shutting down just two weeks before the start of the new school year.
Angry parents say they were barely given any notice of the closure of Body of Christ Christian Academy. One parent got a call Monday from a teacher saying that the school is no more.
It happened just one week after a volunteer with the church's Dream Center was arrested. He was accused of inappropriately touching a 12-year-old girl.
One parent said she's upset because she has to find her child a new school.
"It's not easy just to find another school," said the parent, who didn't want to be identified.
She said she hoped the private Body of Christ Christian Academy, with only a dozen students, would be a place of trust and open communication. Instead, she says she's fed up with being kept in the dark.
"I think it has to do with the past," said the parent.
That past includes the church's choir director who was arrested last year and charged with statutory rape of a 14 year old.
"They sent us a letter saying the music department was done," said the parent. "There was no more music. They didn't tell us anything about it."
Last week, police arrested a volunteer, 20-year-old Meredith Cromartie Jr., at the church on charges of indecent liberties with a child. There was no letter sent out for that incident. When the parent asked about it, she says a pastor just brushed her off.
Now a week later, the church's school is closed. The parent was told it was because not enough students signed up.
"If you didn't have enough kids, you wouldn't have taken my money on the first of the month," she said.
ABC11 has learned that the person with answers is Pastor Kelvin Redmond. However, he was nowhere to be found at the church, or at a home we found listed under his name.
While he keeps quiet, the mother we spoke to is now left wondering what exactly happened and is now out hundreds of dollars in tuition. In all, she says she's out more than $600. She's not sure when or if she'll get that back.
Since this is a private school, ABC11 reached out to the office of non-public education to find out her options. We're still waiting to hear back.
wake county, local/state, angelica alvarez
- Winter weather advisory for northern counties 27 min ago
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- NCCU fans gather for March Madness watch party 20 min ago
- Video: NC State headed to NCAA tournament 12 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Man shot, killed at Willow Spring bar
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Sleet falls in northern counties
27 min ago
- Government drops sex assault charges...
16 min ago
- NCCU headed for the NCCA tournament
16 min ago