Douglas Byrd Middle School principal resigns amid criminal investigation
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- Just weeks before the start of the school year, the principal at Douglas Byrd Middle School in Fayetteville is now off the job.
ABC11 has learned that David Edwards has resigned, and that the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department is in the middle of investigating sexual abuse allegations.
Those allegations were made by a former male student. We do not have information on when and where the alleged abuse took place.
The incident report has been sealed, due to the sensitivity of the allegations.
As of Wednesday, no charges have been filed.
Edwards did not respond to a request for comment.
cumberland county, local/state, nicole carr
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co.
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine 57 min ago
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police trying to identify Cary rape suspect
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Cool Kids: Molly Paul
34 min ago
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured
52 min ago