Illegal gambling operation robbed in Cumberland County
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Cumberland County detectives are trying to track down the person responsible for a violent robbery early Wednesday.
Two people were shot inside a building in the 4500 block of Cumberland Road around 2:30 a.m.
The sheriff said an illegal sweepstakes games and underground gambling operations was operating at the location.
"Law enforcement officers need the help of law abiding citizens in reporting any information that they may have about this robbery, these shootings or any other illegal gambling establishments," said Sheriff Earl "Moose" Butler. "This illegal gambling operation was going on in a neighborhood and next to a church. This makes it clear that such activity cannot continue to be tolerated, and that we need the help of the public in reporting these kinds of actions to us so that we can investigate and stop crime."
Both shooting victims were last reported to be in the intensive care unit at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.
Anyone with information about the robbery should call (910) 323-1500.
cumberland county, robbery, local/state, greg barnes
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured 47 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets 42 min ago
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
42 min ago
- Alliance says Raleigh downtown has lot to...
45 min ago