Dozens of vacant positions as Wake Schools classes begin
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Students and parents are ready for the traditional start of school on Monday, but will the school district be ready?
ABC11 has determined that the Wake County School System is still trying to fill dozens of vacant positions. As of Friday, the district still needs about 60 bus drivers and around 30 special education teachers.
Kingswood Elementary School just filled their two special education teacher openings, but the principal says it wasn't easy finding qualified candidates.
A hiring blitz two weeks ago turned out about 175 applicants, but only a handful of open positions have been filled since then.
The district says it is still going through the applications and will continue to hire.
As for bus driver vacancies, the district says it will call on substitute drivers to pick up some routes until permanent employees are hired.
"There will not be buses without drivers," said WCPSS spokesperson Renee McCoy. "We may have folks that we need to bring in from different places in those areas where we have shortages, but we also want to let parents know that that still may create some delays in what they're anticipating. With the start of the school year, it always happens."
The district continues to assure parents there won't be a repeat of last year's busing nightmare when hundreds of students were dropped off late or at the wrong bus stops.
This year, there's a new website where parents can see whether their child's bus is on time or how late it is. Parents with any busing questions can also call (919) 805-3030.
They're asking interested applicants to visit their website to apply for openings.
wake county schools, local/state, heather waliga
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 20 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- NCCU new head football coach named
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- Lawyer details new evidence in Ackerson murder
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help