Fire rips through Raleigh apartment building
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- An intense fire engulfed an apartment building off of Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh Saturday evening.
It happened around 6:40 p.m. in the 5000 block of Manor Valley Court at the Camden Crest Apartments. The flames spread quickly because the four story building was made of wood and vinyl.
At least 30 units were damaged or destroyed. One firefighter was treated for heat injuries at Rex Hospital.
Some residents that ABC11 spoke to said they had no idea there was a fire until firefighters knocked on their doors.
"The alarms didn't go off, the sensors didn't go off, the sprinklers were not going off," resident Teresa Ellis said.
Officials said they were not able to confirm if the sprinklers went off inside the building.
Smoke could be seen from miles around as residents were told to evacuate.
Firefighters said the fire was so intense that the vinyl of a building 40-50 yards away was melting from the heat.
"Very intense it was like standing in front of a barbecue just kept getting hotter, had to get away," Ellis said.
More than 70 firefighters battled the blaze, and it was brought under control just before 8 p.m. There is just a shell left of the top floor, and a refrigerator was visible from Chopper11 HD.
"Once it got up in the attic it went quick," Division Fire Chief Ronnie Mazell said.
The flames spread quickly because the four story building was made of wood and vinyl.
The Red Cross is assisting those displaced by the fire.
wake county, fire, local/state, angelica alvarez
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday 35 min ago
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital 31 min ago
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban 21 min ago
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help