Duke could restrict access after robberies
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Duke University leaders said Monday that the school could consider restricting access to a campus road following a string of robberies.
It's far from a done deal, but Duke said it might close Towerview Road between Erwin and Duke University roads. The stretch of road is an area administrators say gives open access to campus.
The proposal comes after several robberies and break-ins on campus over the summer and an armed robbery just outside the Perkins Library Sunday night.
The idea of an increase in security is a comfort to some students we spoke with Monday.
"I was planning on going to the library yesterday, turned out I didn't go, otherwise I don't know what would have happened to me," offered student Chitra Kannan.
The school is also looking at improved lighting and trimming trees and bushes for better line of sight.
duke, durham county, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide