Mother upset after children let off bus to walk home
JOHNSTON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- The first day of school for two Johnston County students ended in a terrifying way.
The boys told their mother, Kelly Harper, that they were forced to walk home after their bus driver told them to get off the bus while they were heading along Elevation Road in Four Oaks.
Harper says it goes against common sense and she wants that school bus driver fired.
The children walked along the edge of the rural road, which has a speed limit of 55 miles per hour, to their home about a mile away.
Harper says the kids realized they got on the wrong bus on Monday. They told the bus driver and the driver's response was that she didn't have time to turn around. So, she let them off the bus.
The children's father happened to be driving by and spotted the boys and picked them up off the edge of the road.
"You can't give me an excuse that I would take," said Harper. "As a parent, I'm not going to take your excuse, especially if you have a phone and then not only you have a phone. I'm pretty sure nowadays, it's 2013. You have a cell phone on hands. You could have pulled that bus over to the side of the road and you could have called somebody."
The superintendent of the Johnston County School District says he is taking this incident seriously and he strives for all students to arrive to and from school safely.
Transportation services and administration is now investigating, but would not comment on whether the driver would be fired.
johnston county, local/state, elaina athans
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 22 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project 17 min ago
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots 43 min ago
- Raleigh shooting under investigation 8 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
22 min ago
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
20 min ago
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham...
17 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help