Mother upset after children let off bus to walk home
JOHNSTON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- The first day of school for two Johnston County students ended in a terrifying way.
The boys told their mother, Kelly Harper, that they were forced to walk home after their bus driver told them to get off the bus while they were heading along Elevation Road in Four Oaks.
Harper says it goes against common sense and she wants that school bus driver fired.
The children walked along the edge of the rural road, which has a speed limit of 55 miles per hour, to their home about a mile away.
Harper says the kids realized they got on the wrong bus on Monday. They told the bus driver and the driver's response was that she didn't have time to turn around. So, she let them off the bus.
The children's father happened to be driving by and spotted the boys and picked them up off the edge of the road.
"You can't give me an excuse that I would take," said Harper. "As a parent, I'm not going to take your excuse, especially if you have a phone and then not only you have a phone. I'm pretty sure nowadays, it's 2013. You have a cell phone on hands. You could have pulled that bus over to the side of the road and you could have called somebody."
The superintendent of the Johnston County School District says he is taking this incident seriously and he strives for all students to arrive to and from school safely.
Transportation services and administration is now investigating, but would not comment on whether the driver would be fired.
johnston county, local/state, elaina athans
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation 58 min ago
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 46 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer 26 min ago
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Wild video: Duke Energy implodes smokestacks
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help