NAACP uses March on Washington anniversary to get message out
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The NAACP is using Dr. Martin Luther King's message 50 years ago to send lawmakers here in North Carolina a new message.
Thirteen rallies were held across North Carolina Wednesday evening including one in downtown Raleigh.
Hundreds of people packed Fayetteville Street to try and get that message across. They say on the golden anniversary of King's speech his dream is not a reality in North Carolina.
The state NAACP is using the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington to bring King's dream to Raleigh.
"It seems as though we're back in the 50s and the 40s again," said Paul Anderson. "People normally came to North Carolina because they thought it was a good place for business and industry and now they're thinking twice about it."
Organizers were also signing people up to vote at the events.
"We are commemorating something that happened 50 years ago and we still have a lot of work to do," said teacher Kim Arwood.
Arwood was wearing red calling on better public schools and teacher pay.
"I think we have got to get people to look into what's going on in North Carolina, and finding a way to provide for those schools," said Arwood. "That has got to be our number one priority."
Many who attended the celebrations in Washington over the weekend now want to take the dream home.
"We want to be there to help make that dream become reality," said Anderson. "So, that's why we're here."
Their objectives are two-fold -- to highlight the impact of recently passed legislation in North Carolina, and to encourage state legislators to address the U.S. Supreme Court's decision over the summer to overturn Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act.
wake county, local/state, heather waliga
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 8 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged 58 min ago
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison 24 min ago
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting
- Former sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh
- ACC tournament to move to New York?
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- New Scrabble words sought
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
7 min ago
- Two found dead in Johnston County home
11 min ago
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen...
57 min ago