Duke mom warns of drunk driving dangers
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- For the second year in a row, Duke students received a sobering reminder of the dangers of drinking and driving in the school newspaper from a mother who lost her son in a car crash.
Duke student Matthew Grape died in September 2011 when the driver of the car he was riding in lost control and struck a tree. The 21 year old was a senior when his life was cut tragically short.
The driver of the car was also a Duke student and served time for DWI.
Grape's mother, Linda Oliver Grape, has written an open letter to all Duke students that was published in the Duke Chronicle on Thursday.
Grape's letter pleads with students to be safe, to not drink and drive, and to consider the consequences of their actions. She opens by recalling that day in September when she learned her son was dead.
She goes on to prompt readers to imagine their families being forced to make funeral arrangements, going to a dorm room to pack up their belongings, and going to the airport to receive a body shipped in a white cardboard box.
The letter provided powerful images that seemed to resonate with students on campus.
"People don't really give thought to the consequences, they think it can never happen to them, but in a split second your entire life can change, your entire life can be gone," said freshman Hannah Moyles.
durham county, duke, local/state, caitlin knute
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle 16 min ago
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Crawleigh could affect school start times 13 min ago
- UNC guard McDonald cleared by NCAA
- Bipartisan budget agreement clears Congress
- Laurence Lovette denied change of venue for murder trial
- Police recover stolen storm grates
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue 54 min ago
- Ga. woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Film, TV productions spend $250 million in NC
- McCrory cites jobless rate, tax overhaul in video
- Photos: Most fascinating people of 2013
- Consumer Alert: Online dating scams
4 min ago
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
17 min ago
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
6 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help