Stolen dog reunited with owner
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A ten-year-old boy solves a dog-napping and ABC11 cameras were there to capture the emotional reunion.
Elizabeth Newman couldn't contain her emotion.
"Sophie! Thank you for taking care of her," said Newman.
It's the first time in more than 48 hours that she saw her little Yorkshire terrier, Sophie.
"I'm just feeling so lucky and so blessed to these people," said Newman.
Maggie Pembreton bought the dog for her kids from a man she apparently doesn't know very well.
"I'm happy. She's happy," said Pembreton. "Things happen for a reason. I just feel sorry for him basically."
The purchase Tuesday happened the same day someone broke into the Newman's home in Durham's Forest Hills neighborhood. The burglars threw a pot through a window, and made off with several electronics, jewelry, and a precious family member.
When ABC11 first met Newman, she was canvassing neighborhoods, hanging posters -- doing what's she'd been doing for the last two days -- when the most amazing thing occurred.
"This young boy who's in the sixth grade, Ronald, saw us and said 'I know that dog,'" said Newman. "He sounded convinced. He sounded like he really knew this dog."
The boy led Newman to a reunion which was just steps from where she had hung her last flyer.
The Newman family's tears mark the end of agony over the dog they've raised from a pup nine years ago. However, it also brought sorrow to six-year-old Renaiya, who'd grown attached to a stolen dog in a short time.
"I'm just feeling such a mixture of emotions for Renaiya who thought she had a new little puppy and loved her, but we just are so lucky to have Sophie back."
We don't know if her mom will buy her another dog, but the Newmans plan to buy her a toy dog.
They also plan to make good on the $500 reward for the boy who led them to their beloved dog.
As for police, they haven't arrested anyone. If you know anything about the break-in, you should call Durham police.
durham county, local/state, fred shropshire
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75