Amber Alert canceled after 1-year-old girl found safe
RALEIGH -- An Amber Alert has been canceled for a missing 1-year-old girl after the SUV she was sleeping in was stolen Thursday night.
The High Point Police Department says Shylin Olanda Neal was found safe Friday morning near an apartment complex in Greensboro after she was last seen in the back seat of a 2003 white Chevrolet Suburban that was stolen from a Food Lion parking lot on Brian James Place in High Point.
A University of North Carolina Greensboro student said she was walking from her boyfriend's apartment to her own apartment around 8:30 a.m. Friday when she spotted the SUV with a crying child inside.
Mary Rizkalla said she woke her roommate and checked the Amber Alert she had received on her cellphone Thursday night. She then called police.
"My heart's racing," she said. "I usually have crazy ideas. I had to (call police) in case I was right."
Police said the SUV was stolen shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday. They said the girl's godfather left her and the keys in the vehicle while he went into the store. His name was not released.
Police are now trying to figure out who took the girl and the vehicle.
Investigators said the girl was in good condition and was being reunited with her parents.
- Bicycle Man's legacy lives on
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- State gives OK for possum drop celebration in NC 22 min ago
- San Francisco transit, union leaders reach deal
- Target offers apology discount this weekend
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AAA Carolinas expects record travel by Tar Heels
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- US holiday travelers brace for foul, wet weather
- Obama skips out of Washington for Hawaii vacation
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help