Girl who drowned in Fox Lake ID'd as Mia Cardenas, 9
August 30, 2013 (ROUND LAKE, Ill.) -- The girl who drowned in Fox Lake is identified as Mireya ''Mia'' Cardenas, 9, of Round Lake.
Cardenas was wading in the water with her family and friends in Ingleside when she went under. She died on Tuesday.
Her family released a photo from her first day of school. She's hugging an employee at Fremont Intermediate School in Fremont Elementary District 79. School administrators say she was a kind-hearted child who loved making friends.
A visitation and memorial service will be held in Libertyville on Tuesday, September 3. Pink balloons will be released in the child's memory, school officials said.
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation 53 min ago
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title