Crystal Mangum loses another lawyer in murder case
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The woman who once falsely accused Duke Lacrosse players of rape is once again in need of a new lawyer.
Crystal Mangum is charged with stabbing her boyfriend, Reginald Daye, with a kitchen knife during an argument in April 2011. Daye died 10 days later. Mangum claims it was all in self defense - and that a medical error is blamed for Daye's death.
On Friday, a judge allowed Mangum most recent attorney, Scott Holmes, to withdraw from her case after he cited conflict of interest earlier this week.
Mangum has gone through two other attorneys - who both asked to be removed from the case - and even represented herself for a time.
The revolving door of defenders has pushed back her trial date for years. She is charged with first-degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and larceny.
Mangum made national headlines in 2006 when she accused a group of Duke University lacrosse players of sexually assaulting her while she worked as a stripper at a party. The accusations were later found to be false, and Attorney General Roy Cooper dismissed all charges filed against the students.
durham county, local/state
- Authorities investigating fatal shooting 21 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help