Student shot at Winston-Salem school
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- A Winston-Salem high school student was shot and wounded, and another student is in custody, police said Friday.
A statement from police said officers responded to a report of a shooting at around 2:30 p.m. at Carver High School, which is on the city's northeast side. Winston-Salem Police Chief Barry Rountree told a news conference that the school was conducting a scheduled fire drill at the time and that students were returning to the building's rear entrance when the shooting occurred.
Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools spokesman Theo Helm said 25-year veteran Winston-Salem police officer Tim Wilson, who is the school's resource officer, was near the scene of the shooting and took the suspect into custody without incident.
The report of the shooting came slightly more than an hour before classes would have been dismissed for the day.
Police said the victim was taken to N.C. Baptist Hospital with what they described as non-life threatening injuries.
Neither the suspect nor the victim has been identified, and Helm didn't know whether the two knew each other or what grades the two were in.
Helm said the high school, which has an enrollment of approximately 700 students, postponed its home football game as a precaution.
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- Part of US 64 added to Interstate Highway System
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school...
- Are more Dorito-flavored foods on the way?
- Ex-President Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker
- Interpreter for Mandela event: I was hallucinating
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help