Dash cam video of fatal chase released
WILSON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities have released incredible dash cam video from a shooting involving an officer in Wilson County that started with a crime spree in Johnston County.
In July, authorities from the State Highway Patrol, Selma police, and Johnston and Wilson counties chased 28-year-old Garrett Brooks, of Roanoke Rapids, in a stolen jeep 40 miles to Wilson County where Brooks rammed into a deputy's car, and nearly pushed it off a bridge. During the chase, speeds topped over 100 miles an hour.
Sources also told ABC11 that Brooks turned off his headlights after the crash, and then allegedly reached for something under his seat. Deputies then fired at him. He was shot at least five times.
Sources say Brooks had a gun on him. However, there is no word if he showed it to police or shot it at them. A source said that Brooks taunted cops by giving them the middle finger.
Brooks was taken to the Wilson Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
The deputies involved were identified as John Harris, with the Wilson County Sheriff's Office, and Robert Raetz, with the Johnston County Sheriff's Office.
Six weeks after the incident, the SBI is still investigating. They say it will be up to district attorney to determine if the officers involved acted appropriately.
ABC11 reached out to all the law enforcement agencies that were involved in the chase and shooting. They either declined our request for an interview or didn't call us back.
With information from Mickey Lamm/WTSB Radio
wilson county news, johnston county news, accident, shooting, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help