Sheriff: Cumberland burglaries solved
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office announced Friday it has made an arrest in more than a dozen vehicle burglaries after circulating a picture of a man using a stolen gift card.
On August 27, deputies released a photo of a man inside a convenience store on North Main Street in Hope Mills.
Now, they say 27-year old Luis Alfonso Mercado, of 3581 Birchfield Court, was taken into custody late Thursday night.
He allegedly broke into more than a dozen vehicles in communities along Chickenfoot Road and made away with numerous items, including the gift card, a wallet containing a debit card, social security card, driver's license, GPS, and cell phone charger.
Mercado is charged with eight counts of felony breaking and entering, eight counts of misdemeanor larceny and eight counts of misdemeanor possession of stolen goods.
cumberland county news, north carolina news, fayetteville news, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Duke stays close to home as No. 3 seed
- Tar Heels draw Providence in NCAA opener
- Iowa State ready to face North Carolina Central
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos