Christians gather to pray for peace
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Christians from across the Triangle lifted up their voices in prayer and song Saturday morning, and left with plans to share their message of peace with others.
Bishop Michael Burbidge celebrated a Mass for Peace on Saturday at Sacred Heart Cathedral in Raleigh.
"[Pope Francis] asked not only Catholics but people, fellow Christians, people of all religious traditions, people of good will to come together in prayer and fasting for world peace at a very critical time in our lives," explained Burbidge of the Pope's urgings to pray for peace in Syria.
That message continued at Saint Francis of Assisi where the Bishop was joined by representatives of seven different denominations.
Those who attended both services say they believe military intervention against Syria would be a grave mistake.
"Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and we won't enter into a military action that will cause us to enter into another war and lose anymore lives," said attendee Mike Fedewa.
"War does not bring peace, prayer brings peace. War brings war," said parishioner Meg Koss.
The Bishop also hoped people would walk away from the services with the message that there is no need to live in fear even during troubling times.
"We can do something in the midst of this, we can pray for peace, we can speak about the need for peace, we in our lives can live in peace," said Burbidge.
north carolina news, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title 6 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title