Memorial walk held on anniversary of Hedgepeth's death
CHAPEL HILL (WTVD) -- Friends, classmates, and family of murdered UNC student Faith Hedgepeth honored her Saturday night with a walk on campus.
Alpha Pi Omega sorority, of which Faith was a member, hosted the walk to help keep hope alive and honor their sister's memory.
Saturday marked one year since 19-year-old Faith Hedgepeth was found brutally beaten to death inside her Chapel Hill apartment. Still Faith's family and the public are in the dark about what happened in the early morning hours before the UNC student's roommate discovered her lifeless body at their apartment.
"It's very difficult, it doesn't get any easier. It's always on my mind from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed," said Faith's father, Roland Hedgepeth.
Faith's parents drove three hours to come to campus for the walk, and they greeted every single person who attended the memorial service.
"I knew faith had a lot of friends, or thought she did, but I had no idea the people's lives she had touched in her life and more in her death," said Roland.
"The entire Carolina community grieves for the loss of this promising and vibrant student," said UNC Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt.
Still the search for justice continues. There have been no arrests in the case, and the Chapel Hill Police Department is the only agency working the investigation.
Early in the investigation the FBI created a profile for the possible killer, suggesting that Faith might have known her attacker. Investigators also collected a male suspect's DNA, but there have been no answers.
"My hope is that they can find out who did this so we can find out why, cause that's our biggest question is why," said Roland.
Faith's father said he does speak with law enforcement frequently and feels renewed interest in the case.
If you know anything about Faith Hedgepeth's death, you are asked to call the Chapel Hill Police Department tip line at (919) 614-6363 or Crimestoppers at (919) 942-7515.
orange county news, unc, local/state
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help