ESPN to broadcast UNC-Miami game
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Chapel Hill Town Leaders announced Monday that the Tar Heels game against Miami will be broadcast live on ESPN.
The UNC athletic department, the Town of Chapel Hill, and several other town leaders gathered to talk strategy for that rare Thursday night match-up between UNC and Miami.
Officials at UNC say the October 17 game, dubbed Zero Dark Thursday, will be a challenge and could be a parking and traffic mess.
The match-up will bring national coverage next month and the hope is that putting plays in place for fans now will cut down on the chaos on game day.
More than 10,000 diehard Tar Heel fans are expected to flock to Kenan Stadium and downtown Chapel Hill for the game and the live broadcast.
This year the big game falls during the campus fall break, so die hard Tar Heel fans everywhere are encouraged to come to town for the event.
"It allows us to have a weekday game with as little disruption of campus as possible but it brings the events to the businesses of our community," said UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham.
During the last nationally televised UNC game back in 2009, fans boosted the local economy by about $6.3 million.
Crowd control will be a top priority on game day, and Franklin Street will be closed for several hours while downtown plays host to the live broadcast and a festival-like event complete with musical performances and games for kids.
"We've proven that we can host real family friendly events downtown...this is going to be a great opportunity for people to come down and experience this fun big group on Franklin Street when so many students aren't going to be here and to access all that's good about downtown," said Chapel Hill Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt.
"We want as many fans to come, and don't be any worse than you are on Halloween!" added Cunningham.
Tar Heel fans will be happy to know shuttle service will be provided to Kenan Stadium, as well as free parking including a new deck under the street.
chapel hill news, north carolina news, unc football, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help