Police investigate fatal traffic accident
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The Durham Police Department is investigating a fatal traffic accident that happened Monday at the intersection of Horton Road and Stadium Drive.
The accident happened late Monday night when police say 17-year-old Amina Baker was driving on Stadium Drive and collided with 30-year-old Rubia Hernandez Portillo's minivan.
Authorities say the impact caused the van to spin and overturn with Portillo thrown from the vehicle.
Portillo was pronounced dead at the scene. A male passenger in her vehicle was taken to the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries. Baker was not injured.
No charges have been filed but the accident remains under investigation.
north carolina news, durham county news, accident, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title 4 min ago
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown 59 min ago
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title