Mother irate after child goes missing at Fayetteville elementary school
FAYETTEVILLE (WTVD) -- A Fayetteville mother panicked Tuesday when her daughter failed to show up after school.
Amy Fleischhauer went to meet her daughter at the bus stop, but the kindergartner never arrived.
Fleischhauer told ABC11 that she had no idea where her five-year-old daughter was for 45 minutes.
She called W.T. Brown Elementary School, but she says school officials didn't know where her daughter was either. So Fleischhauer went to the school and found her child on campus sitting on another bus.
When Fleischhauer asked her daughter's teacher what happened, she said the teacher said it wasn't her responsibility.
In a statement, the Cumberland County School District told ABC11 said, "We have procedures to make sure children get on the right bus and we will review procedures to see if we need to make any changes for children's safety."
The district added that teachers are supposed to double check that students get on the correct bus.
Fleischhauer says the frightening ordeal is unacceptable.
"I had no idea where she was. The school didn't know. The teacher didn't know," said Fleischhauer. "The person who is supposed to be responsible for her while at school had no idea where my daughter was."
Fleischhauer has filled out paperwork to transfer her daughter to another elementary school.
north carolina news, fayetteville news, cumberland county news, local/state, elaina athans
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help