United Airlines pricing error puts $5 airfare deals online
HOUSTON -- Some lucky shoppers cashed in on some very discounted plane tickets after an error on the United Airlines website had some fares listed for as low as $5.
We've all been warned that if it's too good to be true, it probably is. But for one United Airlines passenger, she'll soon be going on a business trip on a very low price.
Dawnica Jackson was booking a business flight to Washington D.C. on United when the day got really interesting.
"It definitely set off alarms, $5?!" Jackson said.
It didn't seem right so she closed out and rebooted her computer.
"Still $5. So I went ahead and booked it and I was like, let's see if I actually get a ticket," Jackson said.
She had the confirmation number but was still suspicious. When she called, the agent said she'd check on the unusual price and came back and said it was a promotion.
"During this time, I'm looking up everything. I'm like we're going here, we're going there. I was like, we're gonna do Christmas in Maui," Jackson said.
Although the Maui tickets weren't $5, she says they were still less than normal.
"I checked travel over Thanksgiving -- $5 to San Francisco, $5 to Los Angeles, $5 to San Diego. I checked Miami and Tampa, $5 and $5. I checked Washington DC, $5, New York, $5. I was like you've got to be kidding me," Jackson said.
United Airlines Spokeswoman Mary Clark says there was a problem for about two hours. It wasn't a computer glitch but...
"One of our filings today contained an error which resulted in certain fares displaying as zero. We have corrected this error," Clark said.
Will the prices be honored after catching the mistake?
"We are in the process of evaluating this and as always will do what is appropriate," Clark said.
Jackson says they've told her she's booked roundtrip for a work trip and a personal New York getaway with her son Spencer for a grand total of $15.
"I don't know if I feel like I won the lottery but it felt nice to have good luck. It was just freaky," Jackson said.
Jackson says a co-worker also booked a flight to Miami for $2.50.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Man killed by falling tree in Chapel Hill
- Tax collector's office accused of abusing worker
- 'First kiss': The story behind the real viral hit
- Local company to provide experimental drug to boy
- Winds blow into NC as temperatures plummet
- Soldiers find human remains scattered in woods
- Mobile home destroyed by fire in Selma
- Gas blast destroys 2 NY buildings; 6 people dead 8 min ago
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Obama calls for a 'rethinking' on Crimea vote
- Expert: Girl's blood on over 30 items of evidence
- GM excluded crash deaths from ignition inquiry
- Ingram has 30 as NCCU beats Howard 92-46 in MEAC
- NC coming up against another food stamp deadline