Grant Hayes found guilty of Raleigh murder of Laura Ackerson
RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Monday morning, eight women and four men found Grant Hayes guilty of first-degree murder in the killing and dismemberment of Laura Ackerson - who was the mother of his two oldest children.
The group deliberated for just an hour and a half.
"I think a jury verdict in an hour and a half speaks volumes," offered Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens.
Stephens immediately sentenced Hayes to life in prison.
Hayes - aka Grant Haze - was charged - along with his current wife Amanda - with murdering the 27-year-old at their Raleigh apartment in July, 2011 during a long-running custody dispute. Prosecutors say they chopped up Ackerson's body, put it in coolers, and then drove them in a rented U-Haul to Amanda Hayes' sister's house in Richmond, Texas, where the body parts were dumped in a nearby creek.
In their closing arguments Friday, Hayes' lawyers had tried to convince jurors that he should not be convicted of murder at all. They've blamed the murder on his wife and say he only participated in trying to hide the killing.
In their closing arguments, prosecutors said a charge of first-degree murder was appropriate. Wake County Assistant District Attorney Becky Holt charged Hayes plotted Ackerson's death because he was furious his fight for custody was not going well.
Hayes and his wife are being tried separately. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. Amanda Hayes is expected to go on trial next year.
wake county news, homicide, north carolina news, raleigh news, local/state
- Police: Teen had gunshot residue on hands
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for America
- Troubleshooter tackles Raleigh parking ticket
- Police: Fake Salvation Army bell ringer arrested
- Prosecutors: Owner bypassed ride safety mechanism
- Armed Forces Salute: The Bauer Family
45 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help