Elementary school girl brings gun to class in Nashville
NASHVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Officials with Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools say a .22 caliber handgun was confiscated from a student at Bailey Elementary School Monday.
The unloaded weapon was found in the girl's backpack after teachers got a tip from another student.
The child's name and age wasn't released.
Administrators said the girl never made any threats. She was suspended for 10 days pending further disciplinary action. Local law enforcement is helping investigate how the child got the gun.
north carolina news, nash county news, local/state
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- No. 7 Duke beats NC State 75-67
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title 36 min ago
- Workers sift through rubble for clues to NYC blast
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Man shot, killed at Willow Springs bar
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide