Fayetteville flooded with cancer survivors and supporters
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- It's Mary Morgan's 82nd birthday and there's nowhere else she'd rather celebrate than Cape Fear Valley Medical Center.
She's still thanking God for the words she heard nine years ago.
"Dr. Manning told me, 'well, you're cancer free,'" Morgan said.
But before the molecular cell lymphoma survivor left the hospital's cancer center, she didn't know what she would do next.
"I said, 'well, what do I do now?' He said, 'well you go up there and volunteer,'" Morgan said.
As they say, the rest is history.
Morgan is one of the faces that provides comfort for current cancer patients.
"You see them sitting there feeling so down, so out. Maybe they're worried about losing their hair, a lady especially," Morgan said. "I'll tell them, 'look that used to be my chair. I lost my hair, but you see I've got it back. That's not the worst thing that can happen.'"
Sherry Jackson is also a cancer survivor and co-founded the Friends of the Cancer Center Ribbon Walk and Ride in Fayetteville. Teams of survivors and supporters will flood downtown streets this weekend for the eighth annual walk.
"I see where the money's going and what it's going to do for every patient, so I get real humbled and excited, and it's real emotional for me," Jackson said.
north carolina news, cumberland county news, fayetteville news, local/state, nicole carr
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help