1 bicyclist killed, another injured in Chapel Hill hit-and-run
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Chapel Hill are searching for a driver that hit two bicyclists, killing one and injuring the other.
It happened on U.S. Highway15/501 at Wave Road.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said a Pittsboro police officer found the cyclists in the middle of the highway about 11:30 p.m. Thursday.
Investigators said 41-year-old Ivin Levander Scurlock, of Carrboro, died at the scene. The second bicyclist, identified as 40-year-old Alexandria Nicole Simou, of Chapel Hill, was taken to UNC Hospital where she was last listed in critical condition.
Authorities said Scurlock was wearing a reflective vest at the time of the accident.
"She was a really nice person. She didn't deserve to be hurt like that," said a friend of the victims, Dirck Martin. "Ivan was nice guy. He didn't deserve to have his life taken away."
Authorities are currently looking for a vehicle with front-end and windshield damage, but they did not know the make and model. They also said speed appeared to be a factor given the point of impact and where both victims ended up.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Hillsborough Highway Patrol at (919) 732-2551 or the Raleigh Highway Patrol Communication Center at (919) 733-3861.
north carolina news, orange county news, chapel hill news, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man charged with stealing names, SS numbers from soldiers
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Appeal to be heard in Jason Young case
- Police: Teen in custody shot himself
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help